Sunday, August 21, 2011

What I Want for My Funeral

When my husband and I planned for our wedding, we agreed to make sure that our big day will reflect  who we are and what we value. And so it did - the outfits were creatively designed by my husband and his sister, the guests' tables were named after people who influenced us the most, and we had a sweets station where we placed our favorite chocolates and candies since we're kids.

Well, being someone who loves to be organized, I thought, why not plan for my funeral? This may scare some people because when I talked to a few friends about this, they thought it was some kind of premonition. However, I don't want to be in the wrong coffin or wrong outfit or surrounded by the wrong flowers when I pass away.

So, here goes my list of what I want for my funeral:
  • I have planned to donate all my functional internal organs but please cut me pretty;
  • I want a white, glossy and reasonably-priced coffin; I still haven't decided if I want a half-open coffin or one with glass but I'll figure that out later;
  • I want to wear my wedding gown just make some adjustments, if needed;
  • I want my coffin to be surrounded by 12 dozens of white roses. I don't want tall flowers ogling at me so just have the flowers placed on 12 baskets then spread them around the coffin;
  •  My favorite sweets as a kid should also be served - LaLa, Hani, Cloud 9, Cadbury;
  • I want classical music to be played during the wake and I'd love for Ate Penny to sing "Think of Me" before my burial;
  • I prefer that people would donate money to Osmena National Highschool instead of buying me flowers. Please ask my family on how you can send it;
  • I want my burial to be around 5 or 6pm so I won't be exposed to too much sun. Yes, I know the coffin will be closed already but that's how I want it. Please respect the dead;
  • I would love to be buried beside my Lolo Paking in Surigao but if that's too expensive, I would love to have my own lot and not be shoved in an apartment-type cemetery;
  • I want the wake to be as short as possible maybe 2-3 days max because I want my loved ones to move on with their lives since I've certainly moved on the moment I took my last breath;
  • My journals are my treasures and I've been keeping one since I was 12. Thus, I want my husband to keep my journals. If we'll be blessed to have kids, I'd love them to read my journals as they grow up so they'd know how I lived my life exuberantly;
  • I would love to have Pastor Edwin Imperial or Papa's bestfriend Pastor Rey Cablao to lead the funeral service;
  • Gospel hymns to be sang during the service - to follow;
  • I'd like the guest book to include what people remember of me and how, if applicable, I became a channel of blessing for them. My loved ones will be blessed to know that I've made an impact on others' lives;
  • I don't want sad faces on my wake, come on, lighten up! I want you to celebrate with me the great life that I lived by God's grace and not my passing away;
  • I want guests to wear happy colors not black or white especially on my burial - yellow, pink, red, blue will be appreciated;
  • I want my epitaph to read:
              Gazelle "Gay" Gonzales Arambulo-dela Pena
              8 December 1980 -
              "Gay: keenly alive and exuberant; having or inducing high spirits" (Merriam-Webster)
              And so she was and she will forever be.
I'm certain that I will add more details as I grow older but in summary, I want my funeral to be a celebration of my life because as what my Christian friends and loved ones would know, I won't be saying goodbye. I'll be saying, "see you soon".

4 comments:

  1. oh gay, Im afraid i might not be singing that as beautifully as i did at your wedding. im struggling to sing while crying. but id really love to.

    you gave me an idea to write my list as well, not just saying it in random

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mixed emotions while reading this..
    So I should not be crying like I did during your wedding day, even if I'll aim for a better look while shedding tears? hehe.. Brilliant idea on how you want your funeral to be but the fact that my brother would end up to be a widower is not exciting at all.You are the only sister-in-law I could have in a lifetime. So i prefer rapture for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Gay! We haven't met but I've heard so much about you, and I am happy that a good friend ended up with you.

    You turn the bulb on, and so I told myself why not try doing my own list too. After all, whether or not I make it, life will expire still unless rapture comes ahead of time. ;')

    ReplyDelete